Senior Authorizations Specialist – Water
Scientific Technical Officer [Resource] 27R
This position can be located in Clearwater or Kamloops, BC.
An eligibility list may be established for future vacancies in the following locations:? Clearwater, Kamloops, Merritt, Penticton, Vernon.
This position is also posted as a Licensed Science Officer [Other] 3 via Requisition 55560.
Applicants who do not fully meet the required qualifications may be considered for this position, but at a lower classification.
The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development is the Province’s agency responsible for land and resource management in BC, which includes the protection of the Province’s archaeological and heritage resources.? Operating on a provincial land base of over 94 million hectares, the Ministry ensures the sustainable management of forest, wildlife, water and other land based resources; works with Indigenous and rural communities to strengthen and diversify their economies; and, supports activities that provide environmental, economic, cultural and social benefits.? The Ministry is responsible for wildfire management and facilitates safe public access to a wide range of recreational activities such as hunting, fishing, and access to BC’s wilderness and backcountry.? The Ministry oversees policy development, operational management and implementation, and administers all or part of over 60 statutes and associated regulations.
As the Senior Licensed Authorizations Officer – Water, you will provide specialist services to the Natural Resource Sector in evaluating resource applications, conducting applied research, and leading or participating in complex projects. This position is accountable for making natural resource authorizations decisions and recommendations on complex natural resource applications [i.e., those are contentious in nature and may be precedent setting] or against complex legislation and regulations. This position is also accountable for leading a team of technical and professional staff, either on an ongoing or intermittent basis.
For this position you must be physically able to carry equipment and supplies in difficult terrain and you may be required to operate field equipment [i.e., quad, snowmobile]. You must be willing to conduct field work which may include travel to remote areas by vehicle, boat, air or foot, overnight or extended stay in rough camp conditions and outdoor work in all weather conditions and difficult terrain. As well, you must be willing to travel and work on weekends and outside normal hours of work to meet job expectations. This position requires you to hold and maintain a valid BC Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile.? For specific position related enquiries, please contact Marina.Irwin@gov.bc.ca. ?DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.? Information and tips about how to complete your job application, including adding or editing your résumé and applying for jobs, are available at the following link:? Your Job Application.? If you still experience technical difficulties applying for a competition, please send an email to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca before the stated closing time and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens.? Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
In addition to this exciting opportunity in an amazing location, the BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities.? For more information, please visit What the BC Public Service offers You.
NOTE:? Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
To be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Degree or diploma in a natural resource field, and a minimum of 5 years’ related experience in a resource management field or an equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- Demonstrated comprehensive experience working in natural resource management.
- Experience performing technical duties and working with key statutes that support natural resource management.
- Experience in consulting, negotiating and resolving conflicts with stakeholders in natural resource management.
- Experience leading, coaching and mentoring staff. This experience may be gained through formal and informal supervisor, project or other team leadership roles.
Preference may be given for one or more of the following:
- Experience with direct water management and administration of the Water Sustainability Act of British Columbia.
- Experience performing technical duties and working with key statutes relating to water management.
- Two or more years of formal supervisory experience.
- Experience dealing with multidisciplinary issues involved in natural resource management.
- Experience with conflict and dispute resolution principles and practices.
- Must have, or be able to immediately obtain, a valid BC driver’s licence that does not limit or restrict the ability to conduct the duties of the job [e.g.:? Class 5, etc.].
- Meet safety standards of WorkSafe BC.
- Conduct field work which may include travel to remote areas by vehicle, boat, air or foot, overnight or extended stay in rough camp conditions and outdoor work in all weather conditions.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile.
A Criminal Record Check [CRC] will be required.
Cover Letter:? NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Résumé required:? YES – A résumé is required as part of your application; however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire: ?YES – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements.? Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements.? Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history, including job titles, start and end dates [month and year] of your employment, and your job related responsibilities, accountabilities and accomplishments.? Your résumé may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.